Thursday 11 October 2012

The Underground Railroad

Thomes Jones:

I came here without anything. I had no money or aid of any kind. I went right into the bush chopping  wood. I brought my lady with me, and we were married on the way at Bloomingsburg in Fayette Co. I have one child. With what I earned by hard licks, I bought land and have built me a frame-house. I now follow plastering and any thing I can find to do. I am worth three or four thousand dollars, and pay about thirty dollars a year tax. 

This shows that in Canada for him it was easy and he was way nicer since he had no money and got a job, which he bought a house and made things in the landed he got. He did not have to worry since he had a family to look after to, it was a new lifetime for him with nice people. 


William S. Edwards: 

Things went on in this way two or three months, until I was nearly twenty-seven years old. At length my mistress's son, by her consent, gave me free papers. I went to Ohio: then came into Canada, and settled down in Chatham. 

It shows that he really wanted to go to Canada so he can be free and live a awesome life. When he was 13 in went to Canada and love it and thought the environment was nice and caring people with a nice society. So he decided to move there after he was free with his forms out of Ohio. 



The Underground Railroad:


It symbolizes today since many people that have companies want to hire people for cheap and the underground railroad that tried to find a way to Canada where everything is cheaper and the would could have freedom. It symbolizes freedom and a life just like today people want to have more money for themselves so they can get rich. People have to travel and find areas to go if there country is no good for them and they want to move somewhere more safe and special and permanently stay there and get away from their other country that they lived in. 

1 comment:

  1. Good choice of quotes. Good explanations.
    Not sure if the Underground Railroad really signifies Canada's want to hire people for cheap. But the rest of your paragraph makes sense.

    ReplyDelete